Saturday, July 12, 2008

Leiths easy tomato & basil salsa

I came home from the Knife Skills course at Leiths today and the first thing that I did was cut myself on my food processor...there's a lesson in there somewhere!

But anyway, the course was great and we made a few tasty things along the way as by-products from our precise slicing and dicing.

Tomato & basil salsa

2 tomatoes
A bunch of basil
1 shallot

1. Chiffonade the basil
2. Cut the tomatoes into quarters, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon, then flatten out the pieces on the board and cut into small dice by first cutting into strips and then cutting across. This would be a tomato concasse if you also skinned the tomatoes.
3. Dice the shallot
4. Mix the diced veges, loosening with a splash of olive oil and/or red wine vinegar if you like.

I ate mine with roasted fish, but I also think it would go well with a juicy steak.

Please take one final opportunity to view my tiny dicing in close up!

0 comments: